- 1 What is the colored dot on a tire for?
- 2 How do you read the date code on a Pirelli tire?
- 3 What does the red dot on a motorcycle tire mean?
- 4 Where does the dot on a motorcycle tire go?
- 5 What does the yellow dot on a tire mean?
- 6 What are the colored lines on new tires?
- 7 How do you read a tire DOT code?
- 8 How do you read a tire code?
- 9 How long should a Pirelli tire last?
- 10 What does the white dot on a tire mean?
- 11 What does the red dot mean?
- 12 How do you remove tire dots?
- 13 Do motorcycle tires have to be balanced?
- 14 Is when the red dot is lined up with the rims lowest point?
What is the colored dot on a tire for?
On the sidewall of most new tires are red and yellow painted dots. These are markers or guides to be aligned with particular points on the wheel. The less lead used for wheel weights, the lower the cost for balancing. The more weights are used, the higher the cost to balance your tires.
How do you read the date code on a Pirelli tire?
“DOT”, followed by a series of numbers and letters with the last four numbers identifying the tire’s age. The last two are the production year, while the first two identify the week in which the tire was made.
What does the red dot on a motorcycle tire mean?
the sidewall of the tire (indicating the lightest point) the tire may be positioned at any point on the. rim. These red dot(s) are designed to be used as a reference in balancing. We suggest balancing. the tire and wheel as an assembly and to use the least amount of weight possible.
Where does the dot on a motorcycle tire go?
If the valve stem is located at the heaviest point on the tire, it will be lined up with a yellow dot on the sidewall. When a red dot is lined up with the valve stem you can assume that the valve is at the tire’s lightest point.
What does the yellow dot on a tire mean?
Weight Method (Yellow Mark)
When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly.
What are the colored lines on new tires?
The stripes are there strictly for identification. It makes it easier to prevent mixups within the factory if you can quickly identify the tires. They are painted on the surface of the tread when the tread is extruded.
How do you read a tire DOT code?
How to find the DOT code?
- The first two digits of the code represent the week of production during the year (from 1 to 52).
- The second two digits represent the year of manufacture.
- If your DOT code is a 3-digit number, it means your tire was produced before 2000.
How do you read a tire code?
The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire’s width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire’s sidewall will be.
How long should a Pirelli tire last?
It may be tentative, but tires do have an expiration date. There is a general consensus that most tires should be inspected, if not replaced, at about six years and should be absolutely be swapped out after 10 years, regardless of how much tread they have left.
What does the white dot on a tire mean?
The White Dot (Dynamic Balancing Dot)
Regardless of the type of wheel, if there is no red dot, mount the tire with the white dot next to the valve stem. The white dot indicates the overall light dynamic balance point of the tire. In other words, it’s as though the white dot represents a bit lighter in the area of tire.
What does the red dot mean?
The mark is known as a bindi. And it’s a Hindu tradition that dates to the third and fourth centuries. The bindi is traditionally worn by women for religious purposes or to indicate that they’re married. But today the bindi has also become popular among women of all ages, as a beauty mark.
How do you remove tire dots?
How to Get the Colored Dot off of New Tire Sidewalls
- Hose off the tire if it is dirty. Remove any excess dirt or mud.
- Apply a tire cleaner to the spot. Some cleaners are advertised as no wipe; others need some time to stand on the sidewall.
- Wipe with a rag if required.
- Rinse if required.
Do motorcycle tires have to be balanced?
Do you have to balance a motorcycle tire? Motorcycle tires should be balanced at all times to keep drivers safe. A set of unbalance wheel will affect the motorcycle’s performance and might lead to an accident when neglected. Keeping your motorcycle tires balanced will also help keep them longer.
Is when the red dot is lined up with the rims lowest point?
The red dot should be lined up with the rim’s lowest point, which is called match mounting. The yellow dot should be matched up with the rim’s heaviest point, which is called weight matching.